Which law applies?

How property is divided can depend on what type of relationship you were in and when the relationship ended. It will also depend on what your religion is.

If you were married and you cannot agree on how to divide your property or on a sum to be paid as a maintenance or alimony, you will need to apply to the Family Court for orders. Court will pass orders as per the status, standard of parties, their earning status and capacities, their present and future needs also relevant personal law of the parties.